Skip to main content

Is it Possible for YOU to Write Every Day?

As we near the end of Camp NaNo, you might have found yourself adding a little bit to your story every day or you might have been avoiding it completely. Maybe it's become a habit during July, but as the month nears the end, the incentive and inspiration is gone. So how do you make sure you continue to write every day?



You're probably wanting to say it's impossible. I can't continue to write every day. I don't have the time, I don't have the inspiration, it's just not something I can do. We're not going to tell you that you're wrong. We go through those same thoughts too. We are going to tell you what we chose to do to try to write every day.

Megan
I’ll be honest—I didn’t write every day. I couldn’t. When you essentially work three jobs, you don’t always have time. And that’s okay. Give yourself some grace and exercise that self-compassion, hard as it may be. I know it’s difficult for me.

But you know what I did do? I thought about writing every day. I made notes on receipt paper. I filled out character sheets and story maps from the writing camp at which I volunteered. I outlined. I asked myself questions. I described scenes in my head. In short: even when I couldn’t write, I embraced my passion every day.

Camp NaNo, basically, need not have happened for me. I didn’t revise. But I did put paragraph summaries in brackets. In the fall, when my schedule is more open, I’ll undoubtedly get more done. Goodness knows I have ideas after being able to do little else but brainstorm all month long!


Jessica
Some days I sit down and write a lot at a time. Some days I really fight for every word. One trick I've learned to make sure I write every day is I put myself on the hook for it.

My 2018 New Years resolution was to write every day and to ensure I've done so, I've posted a little of what I've written each day on Tumblr. I know what you're probably saying... "It's July and you're still doing your New Years resolution?" The answer is yes, I've stuck with it because it was something I knew I needed to do to improve on my craft.

The goal was that I would get words on a page, have others hold me accountable, and hopefully my writing would improve from a year of practice. Not so far out there of a goal, right? By talking about it, I get others excited about what I'm working on, which has helped me continue in moments when I'm not feeling my writing as much.

During Camp NaNo, I worked on just my story every day. I wanted to make sure I'd make progress and hit my word count goal for the piece (60,000 words, which quickly got downgraded to a goal of 55,000). At this point, I'm still a ways away, since editing what was already written took up more time than I expected. But that's okay.

Some suggestions on how to write every day...
Most people you talk to will say you can accomplish the most in a thirty minute stretch, assuming you don't fall into the rabbit hole that is Google and Wikipedia when researching. That being said, look to your daily schedule. Where can you shift some things to find thirty minutes or even as few as five?
  • While you're eating breakfast in the mornings
  • During lunch time
  • Thirty minutes before school or work
  • Thirty minutes when you come home from school or work, after doing your homework, of course.
  • Before heading to bed
  • Waiting for the bus to and from school or work
  • Carpooling/on the ride to and from school/work
  • Between classes
  • In line on your phone
  • While waiting for appointments
Do you write every day? Do you have any tricks you use to make sure you will write every day? Let us know by commenting below and make sure to subscribe so you can get the latest posts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Write Next

If you're reading this because you've got a bad case of writer's block mid-project, stop reading. That post will come, but this is not that post. This is for the people who are at a total loss as to which project to begin. Or to find a project-worthy idea in the first place. Maybe you're still stuck on finding a NaNoWriMo project, or maybe you've decided to abandon your original project. Whatever the reason, it's time for a new direction. Believe it or not, you've already got the road map in front of you! If You Have a List of Ideas to Pick From This seems pretty obvious, but maybe try diving into your massive, ongoing list of ideas to pick your next project. What, you already thought of that? Your problem is selecting one? My bad. First, narrow down your ideas by the  length  the story idea demands. That's right, not desire, but length . You can be as head-over-heels in love with your fantasy character sketch as you want, but if they...

August Writing Goals

Hello August! We're hoping this month provides us with much inspiration and many hours of writing time. Our writing goals in July had to take a backseat to our personal and professional lives. We didn't get around to running those word sprints, but we'll aim to do them in NaNo November. Neither of us met our goals for Camp NaNo. Jessica actually lowered her word count goal during the month when she realized she was deleting more words than what she had added in. For August, we've set some new, more realistic goals based on our time constraints. MEGAN’S AUGUST WRITING GOALS Write some blog posts Rework my daily schedule to include designated writing time now that there's a new full-time job in the picture Finish a short story and submit it for publication somewhere Finish new outline for  Earhart & Noonan's Last Grand Adventure JESSICA’S AUGUST WRITING GOALS Write some blog posts Finish editing and rewrites on this draft version of  Murder...